News: Cexx forums, with volunteers dedicated to helping you remove malware and stay protected

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
July 23, 2014, 20:26:54
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Topic: strange  (Read 3172 times)
« on: August 10, 2005, 09:07:45 »
riboflavin Offline

I already wiped the pc so I know its not much use to you but have you ever heard of spyware doing the following:

I created a cd of removal tools.(30mb worth). I tried to access it on a horribly eaten up pc. The tool I wanted didn't show up. I noticed that it only showed about half the tools I put on the cd. I put it back in my pc and they showed up. I thought their cd drive may be having issues. So I put everything on a memory stick. Again only about half the files showed up on the infected pc but all of them showed up when I plugged it into mine. I checked the folder view and it was set to show all files and show system files. I gave up trying to access l2mfix off my tools and wiped the drive. Anyone know of a piece of scumware that could do this? Some symptoms the pc was having:

DNS changes
winlogon entries that didn't belong
strip poker popups
a file called anti-firewall.exe
inability to turn on the windows firewall

I just want to know what it is in case I run into it again. I work in tech support and spend about 25% of my time removing spyware. Sorry about wiping the drive before checking but I had to get it back to the customer.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:09:19 »
CalamityKen

It looks like your customer is dowloading warez or cracked software.   Dunced

This will be a good repeat customer for you unless you inform them of NOT doing this.  Twisted Evil

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: