"...StopBadware.org analyzed 49,296 sites - sites submitted by trusted third parties to the StopBadware.org Badware Website Clearinghouse - and identified the following web hosting companies with the largest number of infected sites residing on their servers:
* iPowerWeb, Inc., (10,834)
* Layered Technologies, (2,513)
* ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc, (2,056)
* Internap Network Services, (1,437)
* CHINANET Guangdong province network, (786)
...Examples of attacks that can render a seemingly harmless website into a badware distributor include:
* Exploiting a known vulnerability in an older version of cpanel software to gain administrative access to sites hosted on servers managed with cpanel.
* Exploiting a known vulnerability in an unpatched content management system to inject lines of code via sql queries that load exploits in otherwise legitimate websites.
* Guessing weak passwords to inject lines of code that load exploits in otherwise legitimate websites..."