If you haven't already, I would uninstall McAfee from your computer. Here are two free AntiVirus programs from you to choose from. I wouldn't go with Norton, its a known resource hog.1)Antivir PersonalEdition Classic 2)avast! 4 Home Edition
Download and install only one!
Java has been updated again since we last corresponded, so if you haven't updated Java, please do so:Step # 1 Update JavaYour Java is out of date.
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.Updating Java:
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u6.
- Scroll down to where it says "The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.".
- Click the "Download" button to the right.
- Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
- The page will refresh.
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager.
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
- Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
- Remove the following old versions of Java:
- Java(TM) 6 Update 5
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
- From your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.
Since you'll be removing all things McAfee from your computer, you'll need a new firewall as well:A Firewall is an essential part of computer security
and you do not appear to have one running on your system. There are several firewalls that provide better protection than the Windows SP2 firewall.Do not attempt to run two software firewalls since like running two antivirus programs, they will possibly cause problems and conflict with each other.
There are a few firewalls available for free that appear to be good and easy to use:
- Jetico Personal Firewall
- Soft perfect
- Sunbelt Kerio Firewall
Please download and install only one!
Once the firewall is installed, check to see that the Windows Firewall is disabled. To do so follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, check to see if Off (not recommended) is checkmarked/ticked, if it is not, then checkmark/tick the box and click OK
You can also remove ComboFix from your computer as well:
Go to Start > Run - type in ComboFix /u & click OK
Please take the time to read my All Clean Post.
Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
- This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
- Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
- Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
- Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
- Select the More options tab
- Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
- This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.
Clearing your restore points is not something you should do on a regular basis. Normally, this process only needs to be done after clearing out an infestation of malware.
- Make your Internet Explorer more secure This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it asks you if you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Set correct settings for files that should be hidden in Windows XP
- Click Start > My Computer > Tools menu (at top of page) > Folder Options > View tab.
- Under "Hidden files and folders" if necessary select Do not show hidden files and folders.
- If unchecked please checkHide protected operating system files (Recommended)
- If necessary check "Display content of system folders"
- If necessary Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Click OK
- Use An Antivirus Software and Keep It Updated - It is very important that your computer has an antivirus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. It is imperative that you update your antivirus software at least once a day. If you do not update your antivirus software, then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently It is important that you visit Microsoft Windows Update regularly. This will ensure your computer has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
- Install SpywareBlaster SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. An article on anti-malware products with links for this program and others can be found here:
Computer Safety on line Anti Malware
- Use the hosts file: Every version of windows has a hosts file as part of them. In a very basic sense, they are used to locate web pages. We can customize a hosts file so that it blocks certain web pages. However, it can slow down certain computers. This is why using a hosts file is optional. Download mvps hosts file Make sure you read the instructions on how to install the hosts file. There is a good tutorial HERE If you decide to download the hosts file, the slowdown problems can usually be avoided by following these steps:
- Click the start button on the task bar at the bottom of your screen
- Click run
- In the dialog box, type services.msc
- hit enter, then locate dns client
- Highlight it, then doubleclick it.
- On the dropdown box, change the setting from automatic to manual.
- Click ok..
- Use an alternative instant messenger program.Trillian and Miranda IM These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
- Please read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place
- Please read Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers
- Please read Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
- If you are using Internet Explorer, please consider using an alternate browser: Mozilla's Firefox or
If you decide to use either FireFox or Opera, it is very important that you keep them up to date and check frequently for updates of the browser of your choice.
- Update all these programs regularly Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
- If your computer was infected by a website, a program, IM, MSN, or p2p, check this site because it is Time To Fight Back.
Follow these steps and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Here's a good website to read about Malware prevention:
Please reply one last time so that I know you have read my post and this thread can be closed.