FYI...Flood of phishing sites
September 10, 2010 - "... Cybercriminals are cranking out fake Web sites branded as eBay, banks, and other financial companies to the tune of tens of thousands every week, according to new research. During a three-month study of its global malware database, Panda Security found on average 57,000 new Web sites created each week with the aim of exploiting a brand name in order to steal information that can be used to drain peoples' bank accounts
. About 80 percent of those were phishing sites
designed to trick people into entering their login credentials or other information on what they believed to be a legitimate bank or other Web site... The study found that 375 high-profile brand names were being used for the fraud, with eBay (23 percent) and Western Union (21 percent) together comprising 44 percent of all the malicious Web sites discovered. Rounding out the top 10 list of exploited brands were: Visa, United Services Automobile Association, HSBC, Amazon, Bank of America, PayPal, Internal Revenue Service, and Bendigo Bank (Australia). For the phishers, banks were obviously the most popular choice to mimic, at 65 percent of the total
, followed by online stores and auction sites, investment funds and stockbrokers, government organizations and payment platforms..."
September 13th, 2010