FYI...Win7 / 2008 R2 SP1 problems
Last Updated: 2011-02-24 13:45:34 UTC ...(Version: 1) - "... some of the problems we are hearing about with Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 2008 R2 SP1. Right now, there is no urgent reason to install this service pack and it should be tested first...
Specific examples. Consider them anecdotal but if you run any software mentioned here, or similar software, this list should give you a guide to test.
* Users with old versions of Microsoft Security Essentials may not be able to install SP1. Upgrade first.
* Samsung Galaxy S phone drivers may have problems with SP1
* some users reported very long install times (> 1hr. but not all that unusual for a service pack)
* Chrome 10 and 11 have issues according to some tweets
* Word 2003 VBA
* slower boot times with SP1 then without
* some reports of download issues due to overloaded servers
* Lenovo's Thinkvantage System Update may not work (update it before applying the SP)
* EVGA Precision Utility 2.0.2 (Graphics card stats program liked by gamers)
* MSI Afterburner
* some issues with Bitlocker are reported. But no confirmation at this point and it may also be due to entering the wrong password on reboot (you have to reboot a couple times in certain situations)
Link to a technet page with reports of install issues:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817622%28WS.10%29.aspx
If all fails, here's a link with an uninstall procedure for SP1:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/uninstall-sp1
To temporarily block installation of the service pack:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=d7c9a07a-5267-4bd6-87d0-e2a72099edb7&displaylang=en
...This tool can be used with:
• Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (valid through 2/22/2012)
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (valid through 2/22/2012) ..."