News: Cexx forums, with volunteers dedicated to helping you remove malware and stay protected

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
November 29, 2014, 00:24:47
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Topic: Is Spy Hunter for real?  (Read 24526 times)
« on: May 31, 2004, 08:12:24 »
Brn2Crz Offline

I downloaded the free version of Spy Hunter and had it scan my PC.  It came up with 32 'severe' items located in the Registry.  I then scanned with Spy Buster, Ad Aware and Spy Bot and they did not find anything.  i then did a search in the Registry for ten of the thirtytwo items 'found' by Spy Hunter and could not find any.

I sent an e-mail to http://www.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/ asking for an explanation.  Has anyone else had this experience or can offer me an explanation?  Rolling Eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 08:32:23 »
Malware Scum, Die!
TeMerc Offline
Countermeasures Leader
Administrator WWW

Don't waste your breathe on Enigma Software, heres why:

http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/
As a matter of fact, send them ANOTHER letter, with that link attached!!! LOL

Look over at right side of page for the tangled web Enigma Software weaves.
I'd also dump SpyBuster too.. Read the forums most anywhere and you will see the most trusted apps used are:
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard

Those are the leaders by far. Check my site for links to all of them. Hope that all helps.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 17:06:45 »
Brn2Crz Offline

TeMerc I do thank you.  I have another question.  Why don't virus programs weed out spyware?  Are they being paid to let it through?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 21:58:45 »
Malware Scum, Die!
TeMerc Offline
Countermeasures Leader
Administrator WWW

No, its not a matter of money, tho some av apps, are beginning to include adware detection in a complete protection type of package.

Its more actually a matter of signatures, virus, worms and trojans have a completely different type of infection, or, more the way they go about infecting you.

Thats really what it boils down too. Different animals.

I'd stick with the apps I mentioned, and, if you check my site, there is a link for more 'Rogue' spy apps listed, I justed updated it yestrday.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:10:07 »
YoKenny

Brn2Crz, download Ad-aware from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware
    * Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
    * After installing but before running, update Ad-aware by using its Globe icon.
    * After updating, shutdown and restart Ad-aware.

Ad-aware is ready to scan and clean your system following these steps:

* Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
        "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
    * Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
        "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
    * Press "Scan Now"
    * Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
    * Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
    * Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
    * Select the active partition which is usually C:
    * Press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
    * If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again
    * Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
    * Press "next"
    * When it asks to remove all checked items, Press "OK"

Close Ad-aware and reboot your system then post a HijackThis log here in this topic to remove remnants.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 07:02:00 »
Anonymous

Yes Spyhunter is for real.
It finds more parasites than other Free programs.
I use it and dont have any complaints.
It doesnt Do any spying activity just removes parasites.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 07:43:53 »
Malware Scum, Die!
TeMerc Offline
Countermeasures Leader
Administrator WWW

That guest is apparently, someone who works for Spyhunter, theres no way anyone with any sense could say that after reading all the BS they go thru to conncel who they are. Ignore that comment, and stick with the dozens of security forums, and read the real info, on how decpetive they are in theire adverts and so forth.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 11:02:28 »
jurgita Offline

NO I agree with the guest. I use Spyhunter for a few months and it does good work.
There is no anything bad with spyhunter.
Read info in that link again and test it.

Lots of people (mostly competitors) wants spyhunter to be Bad. Its not like this.

I would like to get at least one prove of BAD activity of Spyhunter.

thank you.

Quote from: TeMerc
That guest is apparently, someone who works for Spyhunter, theres no way anyone with any sense could say that after reading all the BS they go thru to conncel who they are. Ignore that comment, and stick with the dozens of security forums, and read the real info, on how decpetive they are in theire adverts and so forth.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 11:39:37 »
Malware Scum, Die!
TeMerc Offline
Countermeasures Leader
Administrator WWW

Ok, you two, read the following links, regarding all of the BS SpyHunter/Enigma Software has done, then come back and ssy how good an app it is.

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000505.html

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000539.html

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000541.html

http://antivirus.about.com/b/a/083597.htm

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000542.html

http://patterico.com/archives/002281.php

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000561.html

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000563.html

And a funny thing, noen of these people has anything to do with any other anti spy apps or companies. The only thing they have in common is they see SpyHunter/Enigma for what it is, a scam.

So, if you support this sort of comany and its tactics, I'm afraid it says alot about you, as a person.

And if all the above isn't proof, your really not in control of your senses.

BTW, I'll also be forwading this thread over  to Suzi, at Spyware Warrior, where I also do HJT logs.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 20:03:18 »
jurgita Offline

Temerc, I advice you to keep normal discussion without analysing any of my or other people sences, because you also can be analysed.

So Spyhunter... All Spyware removers does the same thing - removes spyware. There are lots of parasites these days, and there is no such remover, who removes all. Its a funny to read when program removes 50 parasites, but for example didnt remove 1 hijacker. People frustated instead going to support section and opening trouble ticket. That parasite can be removed within next update.

So where is the SCAM with spyhunter? Bad advert tactics of affiliates? Or you want remover for free? Maybe you want a house in Malibu for free?

the program itself does what it needs to do. I tested various different programs: ad aware, pest patrol, spyhunter, spybot... All of them are different, none of them removes all parasites... But all of them has a support and can help to remove later.

Spyhunter.... Lets see Alexa ranking.. 1028 at this moment, show me more popular spyware remover!!! They sell thousands of copies per day, and only few dissatisfied customers. its imposible to to please everyone.
If the computer infected with hundreds of parasites - none of the removers will help 100%. Users should be a bit more clever and the best protection is not a program (spyware remover), but not adding parasites to your computer.

So in my opinion, Spyhunter is NOT a scam, its a program like any else, just entered the market using aggresive marketing strategy.
You see only one side of spyhunter, and I see only Bad. Also I see you just reading other opinions, and never used spyhunter itself.
People can publish any Opinion in internet and they are usually publishing bad opinions, because usually there is no time to publish something good, and there is time to argue, then something is Bad.
The same Bad I can publish about spybot, pest patrol .. they do not clear everything. Ad aware free version also removes just a few. So why are they not Scams and Spyhunter is?

Frustated of the strategy? ok. I see they removed most affiliates and do not accept new ones. it should be clear in a few months. It was affiliates, who used various agressive ads to sell more copies, not enigma itself and of course not the program itself. Program itself is not a Scam.

So in Conclusion Temerc - give me your arguments about spyhunter Scam, not the links you've read. (anyone can write anything).
And show me more popular or better remover I'll test it and compare with spyhunter.

thank you.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 21:57:07 »
suzi Offline

jurgita, I have some questions for you.  Who are you and why are you so defensive about SpyHunter?  Do you have some financial interest in SpyHunter and EnigmaSoftwareGroup?  Or are you part of the company yourself? Or an affillate?

Is this your website?  www.jurgita.com  

Are you fishing for someone to say something libelous so that they can be sued?  

How about you answering some questions instead of asking them.   Razz

suzi

Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 22:36:20 »
jurgita Offline

I can ask the same question to you Suzy. Why do care how Spyhunter advertises?
Why are you looking for the trouble?
I made my point regarding spyhunter and still didnt get the answers.
I see your posts and I know that you are the main accuser for the spyhunter scam.
Still dont see any proper arguments for that.
I'm not defending spyhunter, I'm in neutral position for that, But I really dont understand your position.
Whats the use for you to slander any other program without proper arguments? Do you have enoungh money for the lawsuits if the things will go to the court?

I really want normal discussion if its possible.
By the way I was Banned for my normal position regarding spyhunter in http://www.spywarewarrior.com forums. Do you find it normal? You are admin there. Is that the way you treat opinion which is different than yours? The more I read the more I understand thats its the game of competition.
I can tell for sure, that this BAN was a scam. And spywarewarrior must be added to scam list for their biassed opinion controlled by admins.
I'll post this Ban case to my sites. They are more popular than these two.

So do you find all that normal?

jurgita, I have some questions for you.  Who are you and why are you so defensive about SpyHunter?  Do you have some financial interest in SpyHunter and EnigmaSoftwareGroup?  Or are you part of the company yourself? Or an affillate?

Is this your website?  www.jurgita.com  

Are you fishing for someone to say something libelous so that they can be sued?  

How about you answering some questions instead of asking them.   Razz
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 22:54:13 »
Anonymous

Quote from: Brn2Crz

I sent an e-mail to http://www.enigmasoftwaregroup.com/ asking for an explanation.  Has anyone else had this experience or can offer me an explanation?  Rolling Eyes

Did they ever respond, and if so, what did they say?
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 22:57:59 »
suzi Offline

By the way I was Banned for my normal position regarding spyhunter in www.spywarewarrior.com forums. Do you find it normal? The more I read the more I understatn its the game of competition.
I can tell that is a scam.

I'll post this Ban case to my sites. They are much more popular than these two.

Whatever.  I banned you because you are very annoying.    Rolling Eyes  Your position is not normal.  You must think their sleazy adverstising tactics are ok.  You brushed that off very lightly.  Take a look at this:

http://www.netrn.net/archives2/000542.html

What do you know about the software?  Do you know what their spyware definitions are?  How many things to they target? And how often the program is updated?  

I don't think you will get any support here for your "normal" views either.  Or at anyother anti-spyware site.

suzi

Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2005
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2004, 23:02:10 »
Malware Scum, Die!
TeMerc Offline
Countermeasures Leader
Administrator WWW

So Spyhunter... All Spyware removers does the same thing - removes spyware. There are lots of parasites these days, and there is no such remover, who removes all. Its a funny to read when program removes 50 parasites, but for example didnt remove 1 hijacker. People frustated instead going to support section and opening trouble ticket. That parasite can be removed within next update.

Who brought up the fact of one app not removing more than another? Not me. Your absolutely right, there is no way any app can remove everything, so, why bring it up?

So where is the SCAM with spyhunter? Bad advert tactics of affiliates? Or you want remover for free? Maybe you want a house in Malibu for free?

Bad advert tactics to say the least, its apparent you did not read the link with regards to the trouble a user had. And free, why not? Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware are free, with more DLs and a better user rating than I can find anywhere, and I frquent many security forums. BTW, I also have the paid version of AdAWare, and Spy Sweeper, so, its not money that drives me, just good recommendations. Go and find some good recommendations by the security industry regarding SpyHunter, but don't mind if I don't hold my breath, OK?

And it sure does seem as tho your an employee or affiliate with Enigma  and\or SpyHunter.

No thanks, for trying Spyhunter, until I can read enough good about them, I'll steer clear.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: